Monday, September 8, 2008

Back-of-house berm

Hiya, folks! Not a tremendous amount to say about the subject of these two renders; I've already said pretty much everything I know about these areas, though I certainly welcome questions and/or new information. The only major new thing to talk about is the berm that separates these areas from the onstage areas of Disneyland—specifically, the Disneyland railroad tracks just before they enter a tunnel that leads toward Toontown Station. We Disneyland fanatics often speak of "the berm", but this is a perfect example of how there really is no single berm encircling the whole park. It's a series of many similar walls of earth that are punctuated by buildings and by paths under, through, or above them. In this case, you can see a bit of the latter: there's a footpath, probably a dirt path, leading up over that railroad tunnel and down into Big Thunder Ranch. While the horizontal scale of all this is more or less spot-on, I'm having to guess about the height of the berm based on photos, common sense, and the height of the berm near Indiana Jones, which I do know. (Incidentally, that area of the berm reaches 19 feet above the adjacent backstage ground level, give or take.)

Boy, and I said I didn't have much to say?! Here be the renders... ;D







There's a bit to say about my process, too. As I illustrated before, the aerial photos I use for the ground plane require modification to produce better results. We don't want to see flattened trees or vehicles or roof overhangs all over the ground, so I go in and use a combination of clone-stamping and digital painting to produce a reasonably accurate image of just the ground itself. It's an ongoing process for the whole park, but this particular area has more or less received the full treatment, and there's significant improvement over what you see in the earlier renders.

Now, trees are beautiful organisms. But they do tend to get in the way when it comes to analyzing stuff from the air. In general, the areas from which I have to remove a lot of stuff from the images are the areas I know the least about. After all, aerial photos are my first source of information whenever I add anything to the model. In some areas, they're my only source. So for example, when you look at the buildings toward the left of these renders...well, the shapes of the buildings should be correct, and I know a little about the stuff around them, but only a little. The level of detail will be much less than that of, say, the Pope house in the background, since I have some insider information about that building. But oh well.

Wow...for a short post, that certainly was a mouthful! Handful? Whatever. Anyway, comments are always appreciated. Remember, while I can see rudimentary figures about how many people visit this blog daily, I only know how many people are enjoying it (or at least finding it useful) by reading your lovely comments. =)

Whoop, two last things. First of all, I'd like to thank Google and Microsoft for not asking me to shut down this project due to the way I'm using their aerial photos. If you're considering it...just please don't. Come on. No one's gonna use this project as a substitute for your sites, and I'm not selling your images, and they're just non-artistic photos of things other people built, so...yeah. Anyway, the VERY last thing is...check out historicaerials.com! It's been of zero use for my project thus far, but I gotta say, I'm finding it really fascinating to look at my neighborhood back when it was just a grove of trees...and then when some of the houses were built...then when the school was built...and so on and so forth. Amazing stuff, honestly.

Okey doke, bye bye! Whew...

6 comments:

William Kelley said...

Excellent work there, DM! I'm glad you're focusing on many of the backstage buildings. This area north of the berm from West St to Harbor really intrigues me - I like seeing how things have changed over the years and how they worked everything to fit around the berm, on both sides. I'm hoping one day, you'll take a cue from historicaerials and make your work 4D, by adding a time element.

I'm not holding my breath on that, but remember, there were a LOT fewer trees back then to obscure the few and some really great aerial photos!

historicaerials.com is going to keep me occupied for a long long time. I just wish it was more comprehensive on Disneyland.

Datameister said...

Thanks, dude! Yeah, it's really interesting to track the way things have change around there. Adding a time element to the project would be pretty cool, but I don't find too many high-quality aerials from back in the day, which makes things a lot more difficult. The other big issue is simply a matter of workflow, since Blender isn't really set up in such a way that it'd be particularly easy. I'd still like to do it someday, though.

And yes...historicaerials is pretty much amazing! =D Its Disneyland coverage isn't anything to write home about, but I'm learning all kinds of interesting stuff about my hometown and my alma mater and so forth...

JP said...

Hey, first time commenter and long time reader. I just felt like saying thank you for your work. This stuff is so interesting, what an amazing place.

Your time and effort is much appreciated!

Datameister said...

Thank YOU! Glad to hear you've been enjoying it. Disneyland's really a fascinating place to study. =D

Home Imagineering said...

I'd probably be more concerned about Disney having something against the project... But then again, there are websites SELLING photocopies of their blueprints without challenge, so you should be fine.

Despite being a rather obvious solution, I like the way they cut through the berm diagonally so as not to open it up from the park viewing angle.
It has a nice after effect of giving it a rolling hill style depth

Datameister said...

Yeah, I was originally a lot more worried about Disney, but then I realized how many other projects like this are easily found online...so I became less concerned. I was recently reading the terms of service for Google Maps and Live Search Maps, though, and I'm definitely in violation. =( Oh well...should be fine. I'm not doing a single thing that could possibly hurt their business.

As for the berm, yeah, it's pretty fascinating the way they do things. Actually, I'm not sure this cut was done diagonally for visibility reasons, since the dirt path goes over the top of the berm while the train is in a tunnel. I think the diagonal cut is just there so the path can get from the right backstage starting point to the tunnel. However, they do use diagonal cuts in a few other places for visibility reasons.