Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Progress on Indy queue interior, etc. (no renders)

Howdy! Unfortunately, I have no renders to share at the moment, but I just felt like letting y'all know that things are progressing rather nicely inside the Indiana Jones queue. I haven't completely finished the bamboo canyon/avenue of voices area, but I've decided to move on for now anyway. I've got some work done on the spike room and the part of the exit path just to the left of it; they run in opposite directions in the same tunnel, separated by one wall. In addition, I've begun adding the ceiling of the hall of descending blocks. Hopefully, I'll get some lights in there soon so I can share some renders—if Blender doesn't crash overnight, as it has been occasionally doing of late. =(

Also, I thought I'd mention an idea I had. You see, I'm totally gaga for the first twenty minutes of Raiders of the Lost Ark. When I was just a kid, that was all I'd seen of the entire Indiana Jones franchise, but I'd seen it over and over again...and it kinda stuck with me. Looking back at it now, my more analytical brain interprets it as fascinating from a cinematographic point of view, brilliantly unusual from a musical point of view, raw fun from a "lizard brain" point of view, and unabashedly iconic in...well, nearly all points of view. I love nearly everything about it. The way you never see Indy's face until after Barranca tries to shoot him...the way Indy seems to simultaneously know exactly what he's doing and be making it up as he goes along...the way everything through the return to Marshall College is paced so perfectly...but perhaps most of all, the way the Peruvian temple is so perfectly creepy with all its dark crevices and unrealistic yet oh-so-fun booby traps.

It's that last attribute I was thinking about, and I realized it'd make a fun modeling project. I don't have any blueprints, layout sketches, set designs, or anything for it, but I could have fun just basing the model off of what I see on the DVD. (Don't get me wrong...if you've seen any of those sorts of resources, I want to know NOW! ;D) So I may do that or I may not, but I just felt like sharing for the heck of it.

Oh yeah...and I think I'll put some work in on an original Imagineering project of my own, too. But that one'll have to stay under wraps...I'm quite proud of it, and I hope to present it to WDI when I apply for a job there. =D

4 comments:

Luke said...

Hey Data, I'm pretty sure these are the blueprints of the temple.Click Here

If you have any more questions or requests, I'm the MC User "hauntedmotion," you know, the guy that almost got in trouble for creating a sock-puppet account.

Hope these blueprints help!

Datameister said...

Wow, thank you SO much! =D Now, I tried to PM you on MiceChat, but it didn't let me, so I suppose I'll ask a few questions here instead.

1. How'd you come by this?! (I'm assuming you took the photo, rather than it being something you found online.)

2. Is there any chance you'd be able to take some larger photos (or scans)? As it is, I'm tantalized, but I can't extract a whole lot of usable information from the shot.

3. If number 2 isn't an option, would you at least be able to tell me what the label on the blueprint says?

Thanks a million again! I wasn't expecting anyone to actually have anything for me! XP

Luke said...

Well actually, the picture was from this website. Click Here They appear to be selling the blueprint for free, but maybe you could look into it more and find out all the details. I would try to buy it. Hope this has helped!

Datameister said...

Ah, I see. Thank you! Unfortunately, they make it sound as if it's just a blueprint of a toy set, and it was already sold, but I'll see if I can get any more information. Thanks again! =D