Saturday, November 8, 2008

Splash Mountain updates aplenty

Wow...it's been a while! I'm not sure exactly why I've taken so long to get a new post up, but those of you who also follow my progress on Flickr are aware that I've got no less than 11 renders there that I've yet to talk about here on the blog! =O I know, right? Because there are simply so many, I'm not going to talk in depth about each and every single one individually, though I'd be more than happy to answer specific questions.

My main focuses over the course of the last month have been, in approximately chronological order: adding basic structural elements like walls and so forth, developing details along the backside of the train tunnel between HM and Splash, modeling the queue building, adding elements located just south and north of the show building, and adding the steel I-beams that constitute part of the infrastructure of the front building. As always, go ahead and click on the thumbnails for full-sized versions, and once you've savored the hi-res yumminess, click Back to the Flickr photo page links so you can view versions with notes that point out interesting tidbits in the images.

This first render from a month ago shows the inside of the show building. Note how convoluted the track layout is—you end up unwittingly passing over and under other scenes quite a bit.


Here are some details on the backside of the train tunnel. If you've got photos or video of this area, I'd really love to see 'em! Same goes for any hidden area of the park, really. =P


These walls (ostensibly made of concrete) aren't visible in real life; the rockwork covers them up. But they're there!


I next started working like mad on the queue building, adding a lot of details that never made it into my first attempt, as you can see in the next four renders. I apologize for the stone texture...it's not my best work. The model itself, however, should be quite accurate thus far, thanks to fairly detailed blueprints and a collection of photo reference from my camera and many others'.





I actually wish I'd rendered this shot a bit later, so that you could see all the steel framework in here. But oh well. It still does a pretty good job of showing all the stuff that surrounds the big lift hill.


I wish I'd waited to do this one, too, since I added the trash compactor and other details around this area shortly after creating this shot. You can see the flume inside the show building, thanks to the magic of Photoshop. Remember that the whole wall on the left is covered by rockwork, even though most of it is behind a backstage gate.


Here's that steel taking shape. Almost all the positions of the vertical I-beams are provided by the blueprints, but their heights and the positioning of the horizontal beams are made possible by these absolutely fabulous construction photos. (You know what I'm gonna say, Mojave...come on... ;D) Also notice the presence of a berm next to the show building...as far as I can tell, it's there purely so trees can be planted outside the park and make Critter Country feel bigger.


Last but not least, this render was from today. I've used Photoshop again to add an appropriately ghostly Haunted Mansion show building (and its contents) into the mix.


Thanks for reading! Hope this was enlightening, and as always, please feel free to comment. =)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome stuff. I wish I were more familiar with the DL version of Splash so I could imagine the experience with the intertwined track/etc.

Your attention to detail is incredible and like I've said before, something us "behind the scene" geeks can really appreciate!

Daniel H said...

I love how you're incorporating more textures into this. It adds so much to it (though, I like the "foam board" style too).

Splash is one of those rides that I can remember every turn and position in the ride, so it's cool to trace your model and go, "Oh yeah, that's that part there... That's the loop that goes around... There's a holding gate there..." Cool stuff. :-D

Datameister said...

Thanks, guys! Definitely nice to hear you're enjoying the progress. That's funny what you said about remembering the flume layout, goodguy20k, because I was really horrible at remembering Splash Mountain's layout until I started modeling it. =P

Daniel H said...

Well, it's kinda like Star Tours, for me. When I was little(r), those things frightened the begeebers out of me... Now, I can do the whole ride without holding on to anything, because I know how to shift my weight for each move that's coming. Repetition... Gotta love it. ;-)

I'm also not a great fan of water... So Splash is imprinted on my mind as something I didn't "like".

Still, I love the ride, love the park, love your model. ;-)

-Daniel

Luke, Editor-in-Chief said...

Woo-Hoo! Finally, another update! Man Data, you had me getting worried there for awhile... I really enjoy your posts; they cheer me up whenever I read them! It's cool knowing that there's this guy out there building an entire model of Disneyland in complete detail, going boldly where no man has ever dared before. Haha I agree with googuy20k; I like the foam board style too : )

Anonymous said...

Joe, I've been following your progress for months now and I am so impressed with this whole project. I'm in the planning stages for an article on virtual dark rides for a ride enthusiast club newsletter and I'd love to interview you about this project. What's the best way to contact you?

-Derek

Datameister said...

Thanks so much, FishermanRCT! I'd be honored. I suppose the best way to contact me would be at "your average joe" (without the spaces) at sbcglobal dot net. (Sorry, gotta confuse the spam bots. =P)