The bulk of the work on the front facade is finished; the fancy ironwork is a challenge I'm avoiding for the time being, and the lamps aren't yet in place, but the rest is basically finished, at least if we're going off of the structure as it originally existed. The curvy exterior staircases were added when the Disney Gallery was built, and I'm probably going to add them to my model, but I haven't done so yet. You can see that I have added lots of doors and windows, as well as the attraction's main sign.
Anyway, now that the front facade is in a semi-complete state, I've changed gears slightly and I'm focusing mostly on the courtyard behind and above the entrance. This used to be publicly accessible as part of the Disney Gallery, but it's now quite a privilege to view, since it's part of the exclusive Dream Suite that most of us will never see. This is an interesting area to model because I don't have any elevation plans or anything - I just have to work closely from photos to make sure it all matches up with what I know from elevations of the front of the building. I've had to make continual tweaks to get it right, but I think I'm pretty close now. Just have to add lots more details!
Oh, so I had a funny moment the other day. You know, no offense, Disney, but your sites are generally pretty terrible, especially for someone like me who's looking for detailed information on this stuff. I pretty much gave up on finding anything useful there (besides ticketing information and the like) ages ago. So it came as quite a shock to me when I realized that there's a floor plan of the Dream Suite available on this page! =O It's right at the beginning, and just for a moment, but taking a screenshot of it was easy enough. Apparently, this blueprint is truly to scale, which is making it invaluable as I develop this area. (I have noticed a few slight inaccuracies, though, such as the lack of a certain bathtub.)
This brings me to my last and most important point, the one I already touched on: I need your input in deciding whether to model the Disney Gallery or the Dream Suite. The difference may seem trivial to some of you, but there are very concrete differences in the structure, both internally and externally, and I need to pick which one I'm going to do.
DISNEY GALLERY PROS
- fewer walls in some places
- I've already built the front door in its Disney Gallery form
- nice, elegant arches in one corner of the courtyard
- don't have to worry about the elevator!
- more sentimental for some fans
DREAM SUITE PROS
- I've already built a couple of elements that are specific to the Dream Suite
- the roof over the master bathroom looks much cooler, and I've already built it!
- would allow virtual tours of a not-very-accessible location in the park
- I have that plan of the Dream Suite, but none for the Disney Gallery
- online photos of the Dream Suite are a little more abundant
- the Dream Suite is current...I haven't departed from current reality in my model so far
So yeah, I'm pretty split on the issue. I'll probably just do the Dream Suite, since doing the Disney Gallery would require obliterating the new ventilator and traffic pads and so forth that I worked so hard on...and I have more reference material...and it's more current, which is kind of nice, since the rest of my model is, too, at least so far. Anyway, what do YOU think? Yes, you! The one reading this right now! Take a moment out of your day to let me know, and preferably back it up with some reasons.
11 comments:
Hey DM, Initially i liked the Gallery idea better because its more historical. So many of use grew up with it being their. But then it got me thinking how the dream suite is very special in that it was Walt's original idea. And also because few have seen it and virtual tours would be super beneficial. But mainly i like it because if Walt lived longer, that's how it would turn out. You might want to think of not even calling it the Dream Suite. Keep it nameless. As if Walt were alive today. It would be nameless just like apartment on main street. Thats the cool thing about 3D. You can make your own reality. And making this hypothetical reality of Walt still living and using the space as he original intended would be really cool to see.
You really can't go wrong either way tho.
Good luck!
I'll put my vote in for the Dream Suite. To me the Dream Suite is much cooler than the Disney Gallery. The big downside to the Dream Suite is that most of us won't ever get to see it. But in your virtual world we can!
I vote for the Dream Suite, since its design is very much in keeping with Walt Disney's intentions for the space.
Thanks for the votes, folks! Keep 'em coming...
I love this project! It is phenomenal.
I think you should do the Dream Suite because it is the most up-to-date, and because you have the floor plan, you can be accurate too. Plus....I really want to see inside. :)
As cool as it would be to keep the model historical with the gallery, that would mean keeping other aspects historically accurate as well and would probably be much more difficult.
I think it would be ok to do the Dream Suite for several reasons: It's Disneyland as it is and you have the plans and access to photos to recreate it accurately. Also, it's something that most of us will never see if you don't model it.
Dream Suite.
EXCELLENT work BTW.
Your input is greatly appreciated, all! I must confess, I'm a bit surprised at how...unanimous this has been. I've talked to a few others beyond this comment page, too, and they've agreed that the Dream Suite is the way to go. Seeing as how that was the direction in which I was already leaning...consider my decision made! It'll mean more work, I think, but it should be worth it.
If anyone else wants to make a case for the Disney Gallery, though, please go ahead and do so!
I may not be one of the big Disney geeks, but I really enjoy following this. I vote for the Dream Suite, as it's something that very few people will ever get to see. Not to mention if everything else is current-day, this building should be as well.
Just my 2 cents, which isn't worth much nowadays.
Looks INCREDIBLE, Joe! I go along with the masses...The Dream Suite would probably be best.
I must admit that I am excited of the possibilities the Dream Suite path leads you down. I hope, that in the future you'll take us to other on stage areas that most may never see, Club 33 perhaps?
Post a Comment