The bad news is the reason why you're seeing Blender's non-rendered preview here instead of a fully rendered image. Uh...Blender is crashing when I try to render views of the facade, and it's the ironwork's fault. This is, as you can imagine, problematic. And I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it. Worst case scenario, I hide the ironwork and work on other stuff until I get better hardware someday. But I'd rather not have to hide all this hard work I've done...I had to correct numerous photos for perspective distortion, line them up in the model, and manually trace over them in Blender.
Sigh...we'll see what happens. I've certainly got plenty of other stuff I can work on.
2 comments:
Wow, Joe. These were using the cut-out flat plane idea or were these 3D?
-Derek
It's all true geometry! None of the curly stuff has any thickness to it; only the rectangular frames have a little thickness. But none of that is UV-mapped.
One way you can tell, in fact, is that if it were UV-mapped, I wouldn't be able to post an image like this. Blender doesn't allow you to preview UV-mapped surfaces with different transparency in different parts. It's kinda...all or nothing. Either the whole thing is completely opaque so you can't see the balcony behind it, or the whole thing is completely transparent so you can't see the ironwork at all. It's only when I render that UV-mapped ironwork shows up correctly, which is yet another reason to do it as a real mesh.
On a side note, Jeff Skinner of bendintheriver.net have been talking again...he emailed me to commiserate about Blender having trouble handling the complexity of all the ironwork. His computer is better than mine, so he's been able to handle more, but he's had some trouble, too.
Post a Comment