Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Inside Soarin' over California

Well, the main model has just gotten so clogged due to ironwork and large images and so forth that I've been taking a bit of a break from it. The good news is that I've done some digital painting instead, which has been fun, and now I've started the interior of Soarin' in a different file, just for kicks. This is especially helpful because I've been slowly developing an alternate concept for the exterior, queue, and loading area.

Now, I'm working from blurry blueprints of the WDW version, so if I start getting too detailed, there are bound to be mistakes, but the interiors of both versions' main show buildings are identical in size and shape, so everything I've got so far should be pretty spot-on. One thing I'm not too confident in, however, is the shape of the screen. The overall scale and curvature are correct, and I THINK the bottom half is totally spot-on, but I'm not positive about the way the edges bend forward at the top. If you've got photos, blueprints, personal observations, or anything else that might help me understand the shape of the screens more completely, your help would be greatly appreciated. =D





Notice how the two theaters are just mirror images of each other. The queue will run between them and then along their outer edges. You can already see the long, rectangular structures that I believe house the projectors.

One thing I've learned already is that the Anaheim version is half underground! I never really thought about the fact that you enter the building at ground level and then continually descend a lot of ramps until you enter the loading area. But seeing the blueprints made it obvious that nearly half the building's height is below ground level. (This is not the case in the Epcot version, however, which is located all aboveground.) In fact, when you first walk into the building, half of each screen is lower than the level where you are.

Anyway, I'm done with Pirates or anything. I just need some time to mull over how I'm gonna coerce my machine into handling the ever-increasing complexity of the model.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Joe! I recently read that Disney might be updating the film for "Soarin'"...changing it to "Soarin' Over the World" or something like that...

-Derek

Datameister said...

Thanks! Yeah, there have been rumors about that for a while, but I'm hoping there's truth to the most sensible rumor - that Epcot will receive the new film, and DCA will not. If Disney decides to replace the most profoundly California-honoring attraction in California Adventure with something that covers the entire nation or world, I...I dunno. It would be ridiculous to the point of being humorous.

Stephen said...

You've got an amazing mind and task ahead of you. Ive been watching all the models youve made, but just now first commented.

Thanks for doing all of this insane work. Maybe one day Disney will hire you to do it for them.

Stephen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Datameister said...

Thank you very much! =D