I'm not really sure if anyone ever reads this blog, seeing as how it hasn't been updated in a year and a half and was never super popular in the first place, but on the off chance that someone does a Google search for "Disneyland 3D model" and clicks on the first result, I thought I'd explain just a bit.
This blog once hosted this little project of mine, but progress stalled as I reached the limits of the information available to me - and the limits of what my computer could handle in terms of complexity. Around the same time, I realized that Disney is an environment where I could see myself functioning professionally at some point, and I decided I rather not shoot myself in the foot by spilling Disney's secrets all over the Internet.
So yes. If anyone from Disney happens to be reading this, rest assured that I'm no longer in the business of promulgating every tidbit of backstagey knowledge I come across. :) I still think that understanding the way the parks are put together is a valid interest for fans and a crucial requirement (obviously) for actually designing and operating them, but I also understand that Disney attempts to keep backstage under wraps for a variety of very good reasons. I've also come to what I believe is a more realistic, well-rounded attitude toward backstage, mostly due to a number of (legal) real-world backstage experiences I've had in the last few years.
Still, for those who enjoy these sorts of things, have fun with projects of your own! It's rewarding to research a topic as thoroughly as you can and then create something with that knowledge. And if there's anyone who is sad to no longer be able to view updates on this project, focus that energy toward correcting the problem by working on your own projects. I started my model because I was inspired by other fans' models, but disappointed by certain things they weren't doing. I learned a whole new piece of software, collected information from every public source and fellow fan that I could, and created the model that I'd wanted others to make. You can do the same if you want. =)
Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
We're still out here. ;-)
A shame you're putting the project to bed (for now.. Never say never. ;-)), but I also understand your choice.
Gotta say though, it really seems a shame that all your hard work is holed up on a computer no one can access... While your skill was in modeling the environment, my skills are more along rendering and compositing... Having access to your model would be awesome. ::shrug:: If you're ever interested in putting it online, let me know, I'll arrange server hosting (space unlimited).
Thanks for the comment, Daniel, as well as for the kind offer - I'm afraid I'm going to have to keep the model itself holed up, though. As you said, it was a considerable amount of work, and I hesitate to put "my baby" out into the world like that.
I wondered where you had gotten to! I haven't seen you around in ages (mycroft16)
'Tis sad indeed that this will no longer progress, but I do understand your reasoning.
"All good things" I guess would apply here.
Thanks for the update finally! I am one of the many lurking, regular visitors to this page. I followed the years of development on this project as I too was alway most interested in the back-stage aspect of Disneyland when I'd visit. For me it started as a kid. When I entered the tiny Haunted Mansion, the inside was huge...where was I really, and how did it all fit together? The true magic of the park is the design complexity of rides like the Mansion, Pirates and Splash. I very much appreciate all of the hard work and research you put into this project, and was always looking forward to anything else you were able to share. Your new position is completely understandable, but should things evolve again, and you decide to return to a place where you want to continue and share your work, there are many of us appreciative fans out here who will be waiting.
Best, Jeff
Thanks, guys. =)
Post a Comment