Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mystery project, new photos and It's a Small World

Hi all! Sorry about the long period there without updates. If you haven't noticed already in my "Current Focuses" box, I've got a little mystery project going. It's very much related to the main 3D Disneyland project, but it's in a somewhat different vein. It'll actually show up first on the Ghost Relations Department blog first, since its creator was the one who gave me the idea in the first place. If you haven't read every single post there already, make sure you do that! Really an amazing read from one of the leading Haunted Mansion authorities. Anyway, once my little mystery project is about finished, I'll send the renders over to him so he can post them along with explanations of what we're looking at, and then they'll show up here soon after, probably with more of a focus on my process.

The next item to attend to is a series of new photos I took at Disneyland this past Saturday. They're all up on Flickr, but I'll post a few highlights here. Just don't expect the same old lovely photos you see most people taking! I specialize in the photos no one else thinks to take, yet are still essential reference for my project. Here are a few of my favorites from the day.







Those are: the first Pirates show building from the bamboo canyon of the Indy queue, along with a backstage catwalk over the latter; an extremely obscure area of land between the Haunted Mansion pet cemetery and Splash Mountain, back behind the latter's extended queue; and a rare view of the first abominable snowman on the Tomorrowland side of the Matterhorn. I've also got a full trip report posted on MiceChat, which you can feel free to read if you'd like, and if you're a real-world friend of mine, the "people photos" are up on Facebook.

Now, I know if I were one of you, I'd be thirsting for a render right about now, since that's how I get with other people's similar projects. I'm afraid I can't unveil any of the mystery project yet, but here's a little work I've done on the inside of It's a Small World. You can see the flume, some of the interior walls, and the layout of rooms near the maintenance area in the foreground. Less easy to spot is the fact that I've adjusted the walls to slightly more accurate positions and added a few more doors.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You finally got the layout of It's A Small World?! Awesome! Whens our next video :p

Datameister said...

That I did! =D Not my favorite attraction by a long shot, but I'm still glad to have the layout now. As far as videos go...hmmm. I'm not sure. I'll certainly do at least one about the mystery project; you'll see that videos would be particularly relevant in its case. Till then, I may not post any. I've already demonstrated most of my techniques, and I haven't really completed enough new stuff to justify giving tours.

Trader Sam said...

Hmmm . . . I wonder if you'd get thrown out of the park if you were to take pictures with a digital camera on a long pole to get those hard-to-photo shots.

Building a library of detailed shots is VERY time consuming, especially when you also have to get good photos of textures. All of the little things start to pop out, and they all have to be photographed. And, of course, you have to be able to know how everything looks and fits together by looking at the photos (less if you have floor plans).

Datameister said...

I would be lying if I said I'd never considered the exact same question. XD I suppose all one would need to do would be to carry a collapsible pole, or one that could be unscrewed into separate sections, in a backpack. Once you get out of the rotunda, start screwing—no, not like that!—and then take the photos quick in the bamboo canyon. There aren't typically any CMs in there, I don't think, so whether or not they'd care is a moot point. =) As far as doing it for other circumstances goes...I dunno. I'd certainly love to try someday.

And yep, it does take a lot of time to build up a complete reference library of anything in the park. Two things that make things even tougher for me are:

* My memory card can only hold around 250 RAW photos, and I insist on shooting in RAW format. Thus I must restrain my photographic urges.
* My widest lens is, in effect, a 39mm (24mm with a 1.6 crop factor). That's not ideal for getting really nice, wide shots, but I just can't justify the expense of getting a wider lens at this point. =(

Daniel H said...

First, I came by to ask what your current vector/face count is for the project. I keep wondering about how best to build a engine for you to move around it in realtime, but my guestimates for polycount are high. ;-)

Then I get here and see Trader Sam! It's cool to see all the fun people together in one place. ;-) I met with Trader Sam back when he was having bandwidth issues for his paper models.

That has me thinking... If you two teamed up on data... I think we'd all start building our own paper Disneyland. ;-)

Anyway, that and as always, gotta say "AWESOME!". The entrance onto SW is a little... Wet, don't ya think? ;-)

-Daniel

Datameister said...

My current face count appears to be 760,813. =O Navigating through all that in a game engine—especially considering how much is left to do!—would be pretty taxing on the computer, methinks. Of course, it still works to navigate through it in Blender, which suits almost all of my purposes.

As far as a paper model of all of Disneyland goes...well, I can't fathom that sort of immense project, but anything seems to be possible with Trader Sam. I actually already shared some information with him that he's been using to build a project you'll probably be seeing soon. I gotta tell you, from what little I've seen, it's AMAZING.

Daniel H said...

Aww, come on now... You've got a mystery project... Trader Sam's got a mystery project... ::sigh::

I think I need to start a mystery project. ;-)

-Daniel

Daniel H said...

Oh, and my siblings and I built the (DCA) Tower of Terror model. Sweet little thing, that one. :)

Datameister said...

Haha, indeed. XP

Trader Sam said...

An entire paper Disneyland? Hmmm . . .

See, now you've got the gigantic wheels and cogs in my head spinning and grinding. And big, heavy cogs are hard to slow down once they've gained momentum.