Most of the work I'll be doing is of no interest or relevance, but I am taking this one poetry class, and one of the requirements is to write a sonnet, ballad, sestina, or villanelle...and what better to stump the professor with than a sonnet about the backstage/onstage dichotomy of Disneyland? XD And so I now present, for your reading pleasure, "Unspoiled", with a complimentary illustrative photo.
A glint of metal over shady hill
Or flicker strange through stands of greenery,
Of buildings built for no man’s eyethese will
I seek till I am finally set free.
Set free to wander halls so dazzlingly dull,
Or sunlit streets past pirates’ rowdy night.
The louvers, doors, and ladders call my soul
To that strange place that lies beyond my sight.
But phantoms and mountains and joyrides twixt stars
How can I ignore these marvels, these thrills?
Through vine-strangled temples in runaway cars
We joltingly jostle beyond those dark hills.
These sights I must not e’er forget
Such wonders are unrivaled yet.
© 2008 Joe Cardello
Is it terrible? Perhaps. I'm not the best judge of its quality. Feel free to tell me honestly what you think, though you should bear in mind that the work is intentionally riddle-like and that I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek.
5 comments:
Perfect! I get it, I hope your professor does!
I think its marvelous, much better than anything I could have done (even if I do suck at writing poetry). I almost wish I could see the expression on your professor's face when he reads that!
Aww, thanks, guys. =) I'm kinda hoping he'll ask me what the heck I'm talking aboutit'll give me a chance to explain, and he's a funny guy anyway.
Joe (Data) - For us "Disneyland in 3D" fans, your sonnet brings tears to our eyes! Each line evoked (at least in me) fond memories of your on-going D in 3D project, your Disneyland experiences presented to us, and for those of us who've had the pleasure of similar Disneyland experiences, those memories flood back as well. Thanks for the sweet textual experience (and the accompanying visual photo to jump-start those memories)! Plus, presenting a little brain-twister to your Prof is the cherry on top... (Hobbs_End)
Haha, oh, Brad, thank you. =D I'm really glad you're enjoying the project.
Post a Comment