Sunday, June 1, 2008

Universal Studios fire

Hi, all. Again, no renders today, I'm sad to say. =( Work continues on the mystery model, and it should accelerate in a few days from now, hopefully gearing up for a "release" in one week. Maybe two.

My main reason in writing was just to mention the unfortunate fire at Universal Studios that started a little before 5 this morning. For those of you who hadn't heard, the King Kong scene from the tram tour was decimated, with only the shell of the building remaining. The roof fell during the blaze, and everything inside is just gone. Pretty crazy. Also destroyed were the Video Vault (nothing irreplaceable was damaged), several "neighborhoods" around New York street, and some or all of the courthouse square that's been used in everything from Back to the Future to Bruce Almighty. Definitely a sad day, though I'm enormously pleased that there were no fatalities, though a few firefighters are being treated for burns and such—plenty of prayer definitely in order for them. (Thank you to all those who've participated in the successful efforts to contain the fire!)

As I was studying and comparing aerial photos of Universal Studios from before and after the blaze, I got to thinking that it might be a nice (if highly unconventional) tribute to some of the destroyed structures if I built 3D models of them. I've certainly become curious after all this, so I'm thinking once my mystery project is finished, I may spend some time replicating the King Kong show building and possibly the courthouse. (I still can't find any pictorial evidence of the courthouse's destruction, oddly enough. I've seen many photos of the surrounding square being leveled, and the nearby areas up in flames, and all that jazz, but I can't find any photos of the courthouse itself destroyed. In fact, some photos show surrounding areas consumed in fireballs but the courthouse still standing, so I've still got a glimmer of hope left. That being said, if anyone's seen photos of the courthouse burned to the ground, I'd be grimly obliged if you'd let me know.)

For anyone who'd like to know more about which areas were affected, I've annotated an aerial photo here. I can't guarantee the accuracy, but the only thing I'm not really sure about is which building is the Video Vault. All I know is that the building I labeled Video Vault??? was one of the ones that burned, and the Video Vault is the only other building I know of that was damaged.

EDIT: A slight update—according to Universal's site, the courthouse and buildings along the north side of the square are indeed still standing. Some fire damage, but the structures are still there. Woo hoo! =D

EDIT AGAIN: Now I've seen post-fire photos for myself, so I'm fully convinced. Check 'em out here. There's the courthouse, still standing! Some fire damage along the south side, but the main facade appears unscathed, which is definitely good news.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was trying to find more info about the fire and I found the Universal Studios page. About the courthouse, it said "Courthouse Square (at least two sides of the square are destroyed - the courthouse itself, once again, has been spared). Ghost Whisperer production will be affected." So it seems the building was saved. They also have a picture of the extent of the damage so I will give you a link: http://www.thestudiotour.com/ush/backlot/fire_2008.shtml
On other news, I hope you finish up your project soon!

Datameister said...

Ah, that's gratifying. Pity so much was lost, but it's nice that the courthouse and quite possibly the buildings on the north side of the square are okay. That courthouse must remain standing! =D

Thanks for the info, and for your well-wishing for the project! I've just got some nitty-gritty texturing stuff to take care of now; most of the actual modeling is complete.