Hello all! I'm so sorry about the recent lack of updates. Progress slowed to a snail's pace and finally to a full stop during December...my laptop is just too slow. I'm back on my main computer now, though. I still haven't really gotten anything done on the model, although I did just transfer what little progress I made last month onto this computer. The exit of Splash Mountain is shaping up pretty well.
I'm kinda low on motivation for the project at the moment, I must admit. I've been absorbed in editing complete soundtracks for the Indiana Jones movies, but I'll be done with that before too long, and I'm sure I'll regain interest in the model too. =)
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
Well good to hear you're back on your main computer, maybe a few kind words of encouragement will get you going again. This is one of the most interesting projects I've seen, so don't give up!
Thank you! I'm sure I'll get back on it before too long...
I second that, Joe! Keep up the great work.
-Derek
Yeah man, don't burn yourself out! I AM super excited for finished Splash Mountain, though. It's my favorite ride by far! ;)
Joe, I know you've said elsewhere you're not too keen on just giving away your models (considering how much hard work you've put into them), and of course you can't sell them, but would you consider allowing them to be used to recreate Disneyland in the Fallout 3 computer game? I'm an independent modder designing a mod for Fallout 3 that encompasses Orange County, and it would be rather incomplete without Disneyland. The mod itself will be free to all (I won't be profiting, either), and you would of course get extensive credit for your models. Please let me know if this is something you'd consider.
It's a possibility, I suppose. The only thing is, my particular model might not be the best for the mod. The reason is this: the detail level of my model varies REALLY widely from spot to spot. As in, some areas are completely empty, and other areas are more detailed than you'd ever want for a game - and I'm constantly trying to push it closer to that. Also, I haven't UV-mapped most of the textures, which is the preferred method for games, isn't it?
Anyway, like I said, not totally out of the question, but I think realistically speaking, it'd probably be best if someone just did a new model with your specific goals in mind.
Hi Joe! Hopefully you're getting back into the grove, your work is amazing but I understand how time consuming it must be. Take Care.
Tim
We're routin' for ya! ;-)
Keep it up! We want to virtually walk/run/fly through Disneyland! ;-)
-Daniel
Hey man, I just found your site while looking at the MiceChat forums, and I've got to say, this is an awesome project!
I've always wanted someone to do something like this, with Disneyland but with lots of things too. Like on History channel shows where they show the 3D models of reconstructed ancient Rome of Greece or the Colonies or whatever; I've always thought it would be great to be able to have all those models on your computer to explore on your own and get an idea of what it's like.
And this is definitely the first I've seen someone doing anything like that and I think it's incredible and hopefully that will motivate you to keep at it all the way. I can't wait to see it when you're finished and have it all done and textured and everything, should be amazing!
Keep up the good work!
I've been following your site for a while now. You've done some fantastic work. I would have loved to take on a project of this magnitude at one time, but I'm afraid I just don't have the patience anymore. Lately, finishing any project is beginning to feel like a chore... Mind If I live vicariously through you? =)
Really looking forward to seeing what comes next! Thanks for sharing!
Low motivation for the project?!? Man, you're making history! Just imagine when you finish how fun it will be to maintain and gradually update the park just like the actual one! I'm jealous of where you're at right now! This project has soo much potential; I hope you realize that. Yea, I realize how far it is from the finish, but you're looking at it the wrong way! Just look at the craftsmanship on the detailed parts! My God! They could be pictures of the actual park! You're extremely talented and I expect great things from you in the future!
-Luke
Thank you very, very much for the kind words, all. =) I'm happy to say that I actually did a little bit of work on the model yesterday, for the first time in weeks or months - I built the exterior walls and roof of the very large, square-shaped warehouse in the northwest part of backstage. Sorry things have been lagging so much, but I'm sure things'll pick up the pace again eventually.
Great to hear an update Joe! And great to hear you started back on some of the model work. Your readers comments sure ring true, the potential for this project is amazing as its its scope and detail. Keep up the good work and keep smacking down those Doldrums, I fight them almost daily!
Thanks! =) Yeah, I'm hoping to go to the REAL park in about a week, so maybe that'll kick my inspiration up a notch...
Post a Comment