Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Pirates of the Caribbean entrance

That's right, folks, I've been working on the facade of Pirates! Now, Jeff Skinner is already doing a fantastic job of Pirates and NOS in general over at bendintheriver.net - I cannot recommend that site highly enough. For that reason, Pirates always seemed a little redundant to me, and I avoided doing things he'd already done. But I have an inexplicable urge to work on Pirates right now, so I'm taking advantage of it. I've got more resources on the area than ever before, so why not?

Here's the first render. As you can see, I'm working my way from the top down. Why? Not really sure. Just felt right. Unfortunately, the plan I'm working off of seems to be ever so slightly inaccurate, so I'm having to pay very close attention to telephoto shots I recently took from the Mark Twain. Those are providing me with the details that either aren't in the plan at all or just aren't quite right.



This second render shows the model as it exists as I'm posting this. I've added walls to the ends of the roof, new dormer windows, the railing around the widow's walk, and so forth. Naturally, there's still texturing to be done, but as far as modeling goes, the elements you see here are basically finished. Next I'll be working on the large, central dormer and the elements below it that connect the roof to the walls below. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks FANTASTIC Joe!

Glad to see you've gotten some fresh inspiration.

Datameister said...

Thanks, man! I'm glad you're enjoying it. Wait till you see it with more textures!

Unknown said...

O_O

That.. looks... INCREDIBLE!! Awesome job, as always! I'm glad to see you've found some inspiration again, and are running with it.

Keep up the great work, and I'm really looking forward to see what else you get done! :)

-TomTom (aka dland_lover)

Datameister said...

Thank you! :D I hope to have one or two more renders up later today...I'm looking at the textured version, and I must say, I'm considerably more pleased with it than I often am with my texturing...it's really not too far off from the real thing.

Unknown said...

You tease... ;)

Datameister said...

Always! XD