Monday, April 14, 2008

Improved Indiana Jones queue temple

I gotta say, I'm really rather proud of how this part of the model is progressing. Trust me, you're going to want to click the image for the full-sized render; lots of detail is visible here. Three major modifications are visible in this render:

1. The wooden ladders used by Indy's archeological team. A big THANK YOU goes to "Trader Sam", who inspired me to add these. I'm also hoping to add some of the other crates and such later on. Notice the use of forced perspective—the intentional shrinkage of faraway objects to increase the perceived distance. Not only does the temple itself taper, but the ladders at the top are a lot smaller than the ones closer to ground level.

2. Aged, crumbling areas. The real structure at Disneyland has some spots that look as if they've deteriorated over time, with broken embellishments lying in heaps of rubble and so forth. Naturally, it's all done intentionally by the Imagineers, but the illusion is convincing. I wasn't originally going to do this; I figured I'd keep things simple and leave my model of the temple "perfect", as if it had just been built by Mara's followers. But Trader Sam inspired me yet again—and offered some choice advice on how to actually do this—so I went ahead. Thanks, Robert!

3. Stone brick textures. The temple already looked like it was made of stone, but I hadn't added the bricklike look until now. It's definitely an improvement in accuracy and overall coolness.

Note that the exterior of the flooded maze and bamboo canyon in the Indy queue is visible behind the temple and to the left; this are hidden in real life by a berm that covers the exterior wall, which would otherwise be visible from the Jungle Cruise. (I'll add that berm later.) Behind the queue is the first show building for Pirates; the area you're seeing corresponds to the end of the loading area and beginning of the bayou scene. Way in the background on the far left is the Indiana Jone show building itself, and similarly distant on the far right is the train tunnel behind the Haunted Mansion.

5 comments:

Trader Sam said...

Ooo . . . nice! I've been wanting a good close-up of that.

Unknown said...

Wow!! Great job, Joe! That's really coming along nicely. Can't wait to see more! :)

(also known as dland_lover)

Datameister said...

Thanks, guys! =)

Unknown said...

Really like the ladders, crumbling and all the shadows. Is this the most intricate texture modeling you've done so far?

What is the brown wall coming out of the POTC show building? I assume it's some unfinished part so why is it brown?

Datameister said...

Thank you very much! =D Yup, the only thing that rivals this area in terms of texture complexity is my "new" version of the HM facade, which still hasn't been finished and brought into the main model.

The crumbled areas were new for me. Trader Sam suggested a technique I should have thought of, and it worked great for me. Took some elbow grease, but I got it working.

That brown wall you see is the backside of the wall at the top of this photo. It's brown because, as you can see in the photo, it's a themed wall visible from the bamboo canyon in the Indy queue. There's an unthemed walkway up there that leads into Pirates and the service area behind it and such. Still trying to figure that area out...I'm waiting to hear back from a few people.